Submitted by: Ruth Wimmer, wife of Western Sugar Employee, Kent Wimmer
“These are some of our favorite family recipes that always bring back fond memories when we use them (and eat)!”
Meat Layer Ingredients:
- ½ lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes- not drained
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp GW Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste.
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, GW White Sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
Cheese Layer Ingredients:
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- In medium bowl mix together, cottage cheese, ricotta, sour cream, mozzarella, parmesan, and parsley.
Lasagna Noodle Instructions:
- Soak 9 lasagna noodles in hot tap water for 15 minutes.—do not precook the noodles.
Instructions to Prepare Casserole Dish:
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil, spread 1 cup of meat sauce.
- In layers add 3 noodles, then 1/3rd of cottage cheese mixture (will not completely cover), and 1/3rd meat sauce.
- Repeat layers 2 or more times, ending with meat sauce.
- Sprinkle top with 1- 1 ½ cups mozzarella and then ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle dried parsley on the top.
- Top with a few sliced black olives- about 1 every 2-3 inches on the top.
- Cover with foil and bake about– 1hour.
- Remove foil cover and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top- about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.