Recipe by: Freda O’Neal, grandmother of Western Sugar Employee, Kent Wimmer
“These are some of our favorite family recipes that always bring back fond memories when we use them (and eat)!”
- Sliced cucumbers
- 2 sliced green peppers
- 2 chopped medium onions
- ¼ cup pickling salt
- 4 cups GW Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups dark vinegar
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp turmeric
- Bring the following to a boil: ¼ cup pickling salt, 4 cups sugar, 4 cups dark vinegar, 1 tsp celery salt,1 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp turmeric
- Let syrup stand until cool. Alternate cucumbers, sliced peppers and chopped onion in a large wide mouth jar.
- Pour syrup over above and cover.
- Keep in refrigerator. These keep all year in refrigerator.
- Do not seal in jars.