Title: Wastewater Technician I
Location: Fort Morgan, CO
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a new opportunity for an experienced Wastewater Technician I at its facility in Fort Morgan, Colorado. The position will serve as the facility’s Wastewater Operator, certified in the state of Colorado as at least a Class C Wastewater Operator, and will assume ownership of the maintenance and operation of the facility’s wastewater treatment works. The person who fills this role will be a part of the facility’s environmental team and will be responsible for the implementation of site-specific monitoring and maintenance programs associated with the wastewater treatment works and wastewater lagoons in accordance with in-house best practices/plans and environmental regulation. The preferred candidate is self-motivated, organized, mechanically inclined, and task-oriented to effectively contribute to the overall success of the environmental team. With a hands-on approach, this person must communicate and collaborate with facility management to create a transparent and productive work setting.
- Operates a Class B wastewater treatment works and associated sludge handling system with oversight from the facility’s certified Operator in Responsible Charge (ORC).
- Monitors quality and effectiveness of wastewater treatment works and associated environmental controls and best management practices (BMPs).
- Performs frequent sampling and testing in accordance with analytical reference methods.
- Responsible for managing chemical inventory related to wastewater operations and cooling tower.
- Maintains good housekeeping of wastewater treatment works and sludge handling building.
- Routinely uses, calibrates, and maintains analytical instrumentation (i.e. pH, temperature, odor, dissolved oxygen, COD, etc.) per manufacture’s recommendations and site-specific policies and procedures.
- Responsible for data entry and QA/QC.
- Assists in the preparation of Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs).
- Responsible for performing preventative maintenance routines associated with the wastewater treatment works (i.e. pumps, aerators, gears, belts, etc.).
- Responsible for identifying repairs or non-routine maintenance items and implementing basic maintenance repairs, when qualified to do so.
- Responsible for the management and application of any new treatment technologies identified to promote healthy biological activity, prevent and mitigate potential odors, and prevent or suppress unwanted plant growth.
- On a regular basis, verifies that all required monitoring and recordkeeping related to core-responsibilities is being performed per site-specific policies and procedures.
- Must attend routine training and maintain all required certifications, as identified by the site’s Environmental Manager.
- Performs other environmental duties as assigned.
- Performs all tasks in accordance with environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures, and is responsible for maintaining job-specific certifications and/or licenses as assigned.
- May be required to work rotating shifts.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in wastewater treatment
- Colorado Class C or higher Operator Certification
- SAP experience preferred
- Must be mechanically inclined; maintenance experience preferred
- Safety leader with exemplary behaviors and leadership
- Proficient in critical thinking and multi-tasking high priority projects
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Computer competent (Excel and Word)
- Friendly, results oriented, and collaborative
Reports to the Environmental Manager
Must be 18 years old or older
Travel Requirements: Less than 5% (for training purposes)
|Position Type: Union||Status: Exempt||Wage Range: $27.95||Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado|
|Benefits:||Medical, Vision, STD, LTD, 401K, Vacation, Allowance Time, and Holidays|