The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Safety and Health Professional. This position is responsible for coordinating the safety and health systems for the Scottsbluff, NE and Torrington, WY factories. This person will be asked to lead a significant change process using processes tools and metrics like human performance, and behavior based safety, root cause analysis and safety GAP analysis with the goal of identifying, eliminating, and sustaining internal and external risk mitigation for the protection of Western Sugar Cooperative employees, facilities, and locations that we operate. The person must be very hands-on and work side by side with people to create a culture of safety and health. The person will take the lead in working closely with the factories to build a safety and health minded culture.
- Be a safety leader with solid behaviors and demonstrated leadership
- Deploy tools and techniques to implement and improve behaviors such as preparedness, self-sufficiency, accountability, problem solving or communication at the supervisor, mechanic and operator level
- Promote update and manage the health & safety programs for factory
- Use Root Cause Analysis (RCA) methodology to mitigate and eliminate identified risks
- Develop and assist plant supervisors with training employees in health and safety expectations, including but not limited to, HAZCOM, LOTO, Confined Space, forklift operations, and facility specific programs.
- Ensure appropriate and prompt reporting of injuries and incidents to Western Sugar Cooperative Management and governmental authorities, if necessary
- Develop and assist the factories with implementing and tracking proactive safety measures and appropriate behavioral initiatives
- Manage and monitor plant performance against Western Sugar Cooperative health and safety guidelines
- Maintain all safety and health regulatory records
- Work closely with and collaborate with all internal & external stakeholders: management, local safety teams, local regulatory agencies, and local emergency planning committees.
- Provide technical safety input for capital projects and process improvements
- Lead the facility with coordinating and conducting safety inspections, sampling, monitoring, and job hazard analysis
- Support and maintain the factories annual Safety and Health Action Plan
- Coach others in the application of safe behaviors and processes to build a safety culture of high performance
- Facilitate and support the facility Safety Committee
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis or degree in Health and Safety
- 2-3 years experienced preferred, but open to person with no experience but has Health and Safety
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety and health
- Experience using root cause analysis, behavior based safety techniques, and safety auditing
- Excellent verbal, written, group facilitation, and presentation skills
- Excellent computer competence (outlook, word, PowerPoint, excel, safety process software)
- Must be able to handle several priorities at one time
- Strong customer focus mind-set
- Solid leadership and influencing skills
- Friendly, results oriented, and collaborative
Travel Requirements, if any (please indicate percentage):
Up to 10%
Please submit resume in Word or PDF form to:firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace.