Title: Process Shift Supervisor
Location: Billings, Montana
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Sugarbeet Process Shift Supervisor. This position will report to the Plant Manager and is responsible for managing the shift and all direct reports. The Shift Supervisor ensures the smooth running of the production process and ensures that all products are produced to the right specifications. The Shift Supervisor ensures that all employees comply with the Company’s Health and Safety procedures. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to understand and implement the best ways of processing sugarbeets into sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a strong mechanical and chemical knowledge, enjoy processing, and be a believer in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and direct the shift in sugarbeet processing to optimize performance.
- Takes full responsibility of the shift in terms of management of staff, management of production and quality targets and ensure the smooth running of the production process.
- Responsible for the quality produced during the shift and holds employees accountable for adhering to the companies quality systems, process and procedures.
- Has a working knowledge of the Beet End and Sugar End process.
- Manages, develops, and motivates direct reporting staff.
- Monitors, measures, and reports on production related process performance and general issues.
- Ensures good communications is given either verbally or written to all members of staff.
- Ensures that Health and Safety rules and regulations are adhered to during the shift and all matters relating to this are dealt with using the resources within the shift in line with the company’s health and safety policy and procedures.
- Problem solving and trouble shooting skills are used to ensure that all employees can identify root causes and take fast effective action to resolve the problems.
- Ensures that employees are trained to perform the task of the job required on the shift in a safe and efficient manner.
- Actively participates all continuous improvement initiatives.
- Maintains housekeeping standards to ensure a clean and safe workplace.
- Responsible for ensuring the Company’s resources are used in an effective manner to ensure the best operating costs.
- Ensures employees are trained on process controls and efficient operation of the factory.
- Stay current on leading industry practices and technology for implementing new ways to improve processing.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solving problems.
- Operate processing at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself and your team accountable for achieving performance targets.
- Work with purchasing to ensure processing supplies are available to perform at a high level.
- Work closely with the Process Engineers and the Process Manager, Maintenance Manager and Plant Manager to ensure proper preventative maintenance is occurring.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Work closely with other Shift Supervisors to ensure a fluid transitions between shifts, including establishing shift schedules.
- When needed, hold people accountable administering the collective bargaining agreement. Ensure employee grievances are addressed in a timely manner.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend most of the time (90%) out in the different work areas engaging with employees to listen, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferred, but not required.
- Will consider candidates with proven supervisory experience in a processing environment.
- 5 to 10 years of process experience preferred, but open to person with no experience but, has the preferred educational background.Experience in Sugarbeet processing or sugar refining preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Willing to learn continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Some, but limited.
Please apply by sending resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.
Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace