Title: Process Engineer
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Sugarbeet Process Engineer. This position will report to the process manager and support the processing of sugarbeets into sugar at our Scottsbluff, NE facility. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to understand and implement the best ways of processing sugarbeets into sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a strong mechanical and chemical knowledge, enjoy processing, and believes in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and direct shift processing personnel in sugarbeet processing to optimize performance.
- Work closely with shift supervisors in communicating process changes from shift to shift.
- Ensures employees are trained on process controls.
- Compile data, trends and reports to help improve process, quality and throughput.
- Stay current on leading industry practices and technology for implementing new ways to improve processing.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solve problems.
- Operate processing at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself and your team accountable for achieving performance targets.
- When needed, hold people accountable administering the collective bargaining agreement. Ensure employee grievances are addressed in a timely manner.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend 90 % of the time out in the different work areas engaging with employees to listen, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering preferred. Will consider someone with a mechanical or controls engineering degree provided they have some processing experience.
- 1 to 3 years of process experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Willing to learn continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Some, but limited.