Title: Process Engineer
Location: Scottsbluff, Nebraska, Fort Morgan, Colorado and Lovell, Wyoming
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Sugarbeet Process Engineer. This position will report to the process manager and support the processing of sugarbeets into sugar at our Scottsbluff, NE, Fort Morgan, CO and Lovell, WY facilities. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to understand and implement the best ways of processing sugarbeets into sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a strong mechanical and chemical knowledge, enjoy processing, and believes in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and direct shift processing personnel in sugarbeet processing to optimize performance.
- Work closely with shift supervisors in communicating process changes from shift to shift.
- Ensures employees are trained on process controls.
- Compile data, trends and reports to help improve process, quality and throughput.
- Stay current on leading industry practices and technology for implementing new ways to improve processing.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solve problems.
- Operate processing at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself and your team accountable for achieving performance targets.
- When needed, hold people accountable administering the collective bargaining agreement. Ensure employee grievances are addressed in a timely manner.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend 90 % of the time out in the different work areas engaging with employees to listen, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in process or chemical engineering preferred. Will consider someone with a mechanical or controls engineering degree provided they have some processing experience.
- 1 to 3 years of process experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Willing to learn continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Some, but limited.