The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Packaging Manager. This position will report to the plant manager and lead the sugar packaging and warehouse operations at our Scottsbluff, Nebraska facility. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to understand warehouse management and implement the best ways of packaging sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a very strong mechanical knowledge, enjoy packaging operations, and believe in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and direct packaging operations to optimize performance.
- Work closely with others to motivate and improve knowledge of packaging personnel.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures, then train and hold people accountable to using them.
- Operate packaging at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself and your team accountable for achieving performance targets.
- Establish fluid transitions between shifts, including establishing shift schedules.
- Meet with direct reports in a formal way twice per year to review performance. These are two-way feedback sessions to assist improvement for you and the employee.
- When needed, hold people accountable administering the collective bargaining agreement. Ensure employee grievances are addressed in a timely manner.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solving problems.
- Work with purchasing to ensure packaging supplies are available to perform at a high level.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Manager to ensure proper preventative maintenance is occurring.
- Track and manage expenses versus agreed upon annual budget.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend most of the time (70%) in the packaging and warehouse work areas engaging with employees to listen, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, industrial technology or business preferred.
- A minimum 5 years as a proven leader in packaging operations.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Experience using continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving capabilities are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Some, but limited.