The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Packaging Manager. This position will report to the plant manager and lead the sugar packaging and warehouse operations at our Scottsbluff, Nebraska facility. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to understand warehouse management and implement the best ways of packaging sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a very strong mechanical knowledge, enjoy packaging operations, and believe in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and direct packaging operations to optimize performance.
- Work closely with others to motivate and improve knowledge of packaging personnel.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures, then train and hold people accountable to using them.
- Operate packaging at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself and your team accountable for achieving performance targets.
- Establish fluid transitions between shifts, including establishing shift schedules.
- Meet with direct reports in a formal way twice per year to review performance. These are two-way feedback sessions to assist improvement for you and the employee.
- When needed, hold people accountable administering the collective bargaining agreement. Ensure employee grievances are addressed in a timely manner.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solving problems.
- Work with purchasing to ensure packaging supplies are available to perform at a high level.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Manager to ensure proper preventative maintenance is occurring.
- Track and manage expenses versus agreed upon annual budget.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend most of the time (70%) in the packaging and warehouse work areas engaging with employees to listen, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, industrial technology or business preferred.
- A minimum 5 years as a proven leader in packaging operations.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Experience using continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving capabilities are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Some, but limited.
Please submit all resumes in Word or PDF form to:email@example.com
It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.