Western Sugar Cooperative Job Description
Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Billings, Montana
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer. This position will report to the Engineering manager. The position requires a very dynamic person with the ability to design, redesign, analyze the mechanical process in the processing of sugarbeets into sugar, while showing strong leadership skills. The person should have a very strong mechanical knowledge, enjoy processing, and be a believer in preventative maintenance.
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors and demonstrated leadership. Working with others to perform against the plant site safety plan with the goal of being a zero injury workplace.
- Lead the effort with others to maintain a clean and safe production environment.
- Plan, organize and implement sugarbeet mechanical processing to optimize performance.
- Stay current on leading industry practices and technology for implementing new ways to improve mechanical processing.
- Use root cause analysis to permanently solving problems.
- Operate mechanical processing at a high level of efficiency using Key Performance Indicators and a continuous improvement approach to hold yourself accountable for achieving performance targets.
- Track and manage expenses versus agreed upon annual budget.
- Work with purchasing to ensure processing supplies are available to perform at a high level.
- Provide solid people leadership that lives our Core Values of: Safety, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility.
- Analyze problems in the manufacturing process and provide resolutions to the mechanical issues.
- Design and/or redesign mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, automated controls in the sugarbeet process
- Conducts mechanical experiments within the sugarbeet processing environment to find the most efficient and productive process.
- Solicits impute from operations personnel prior to design and implementation.
- Produces outlines of designs of mechanical processes.
- Help to implement a Customer Focused Strategy of Leading Customer Service, Competitive Cost Position, and High Quality & Innovative Products. This includes supporting Good Manufacturing Practices and Third Party Audit requirements.
- This position is required to spend most of the time (70%) out in the different work areas engaging with employees to listen, train, troubleshoot and provide support for improving performance.
- To be successful, this position often requires more than 40 hours per week and weekend work.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering required. Will consider someone with an automation/controls or chemical engineering degree pending they have some mechanical experience and a solid processing experience.
- A minimum 5-7 years as a proven leader as a mechanical engineer. Sugarbeet processing or sugar refining preferred.
- Hands on experience with computer-aided engineering (CAM) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAE).
- Hands on experience with 2D and 3D engineering design and manufacturing tools (e.g. AutoCad, ProE, or other)
- Adequate knowledge of engineering analysis tools (ANSYS, PROMECHNICA or other)
- Mathematical computing and analysis tools ( Matlab, Excel, LabView, etc.)
- Solid understanding of core concepts including mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulics, automation controls etc.
- Creative analytical skills
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner.
- Demonstrated experience with improvements in safety, productivity, and quality.
- Great communication skills working with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Experience using continuous improvement processes like Lean Sigma and Root Cause Analysis.
- Excellent computer competence (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong customer focus mind-set.
- Solid leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Friendly, results oriented, high level of energy and collaborative.
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%.
Please submit all resumes in Word or PDF form to:
It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace.