Title: Environmental Coordinator
Location: Billings, MT
The Western Sugar Cooperative has a new opportunity for an Environmental Coordinator with an emphasis on wastewater and materials management at its facility in Billings, Montana (“Facility”). The Environmental Coordinator will serve as the Facility’s Class III Wastewater Operator, certified in the state of Montana, and will assume ownership of the maintenance and operation of the Facility’s wastewater treatment works. In addition, the Environmental Coordinator will supervise and assist in managing the Facility’s raw materials and byproducts. The person who fills this role will be a part of Facility’s environmental team and will be responsible for the implementation of site-specific monitoring and maintenance programs for pond, coal, and byproduct management in accordance with in-house best practices and environmental regulation. The preferred candidate is self-motivated, mechanically inclined, and task-oriented in order to effectively contribute to the overall success of the environmental team. With a hands-on approach, this person must communicate and collaborate with Facility management to create a transparent and productive work setting and to ensure environmental compliance is maintained. This position reports directly to the Facility’s Environmental Specialist.
- Water Operations
- Responsible for obtaining and maintaining Montana Class III Wastewater Operator Certification, including earning Continuing Education Credits every two years to maintain license.
- Performs routine sampling and testing of wastewater.
- Properly preserves all compliance samples in accordance with analytical reference methods and safely transports samples to the appropriate laboratory within required hold times.
- Responsible for the management and application of any new treatment technologies identified to promote healthy biological activity, prevent and mitigate environmental impacts, and prevent or suppress unwanted plant growth.
- Responsible for repairing and maintaining aeration, mud clarifier, and other wastewater handling and control equipment.
- Routinely uses, calibrates, and maintains field instrumentation (i.e. pH, temperature, and chlorine meters) per manufacture’s recommendations and site-specific policies and procedures.
- Monitors and maintains river water intake structure.
- Responsible for maintaining stormwater controls / BMPs.
- Materials and Roadway Operations
- Coordinates and supervises the movement and storage of coal, limestone and associated byproducts.
- Implements minor repairs of railcars.
- Maintains Facility equipment associated with materials management.
- Coordinates and supervises pond dredging activities.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of equipment used to manage roadways. Including but not limited to, the operation of vehicles used to apply water and chemical dust suppressants, remove snow, and make minor road and berm repairs.
- Other Duties
- Responsible for monitoring compliance with air quality standards associated with activities related to the job.
- Coordinates the routine pickup and transport of waste materials including used oil and universal waste.
- Responsible for general housekeeping of areas of coverage.
- Performs other environmental duties as assigned.
- Performs all tasks in accordance with environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures, and is responsible for maintaining job-specific certifications and/or licenses as assigned.
- Occasional weekend coverage required.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Experience in the operation of heavy equipment (i.e. skid steer loader, backhoe, front-end loader, etc.)
- Strong maintenance background
- Safety leader with exemplary behaviors and leadership
- Proficient in critical thinking and multi-tasking high priority projects
- Computer competent (Excel and Word)
- Friendly, results oriented, and collaborative
- Wastewater experience, preferred
- Montana Class III Wastewater Operator Certification, desired
Travel Requirements, if any (please indicate percentage):
Less than 5%
- Please submit all resumes in Word or PDF form to:
- It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace.