This is a full-time position
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
The Western Sugar Cooperative has an opportunity for an experienced Environmental Coordinator with an emphasis on Wastewater operations at its facility in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The position will serve as the facility’s Direct Responsible Charge (DRC), certified in the state of Nebraska as a Class II Wastewater Operator and Pesticide Applicator. The individual will assume ownership of the maintenance and operation of the facility’s wastewater treatment works as a part of the environmental team, reporting to the site’s Environmental Lead. The person will be responsible for the implementation of site-specific monitoring and maintenance programs for pond management in accordance with in-house best practices and environmental regulation. To effectively contribute to the overall success of the environmental team, the preferred candidate is self-motivated, extremely organized, computer literate, mechanically inclined, and task-oriented. With a hands-on approach, this person must communicate and collaborate with facility management and regulatory agencies to create a transparent, productive, and respectful work environment.
• Performs routine sampling and testing of wastewater and related air quality standards.
• Performs routine sampling and inspections required by the Storm Water Pollution Prevention (SWPP) and Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plans.
• Monitors quality and effectiveness of environmental controls and best management practices (BMPs).
• Properly preserves all compliance samples in accordance with analytical reference methods and safely transports samples to the appropriate laboratory within required hold times.
• Routinely uses, calibrates, and maintains field instrumentation (i.e., pH, temperature, odor, and chlorine meters) per manufacture’s recommendations and site-specific policies and procedures.
• Performs basic in-house laboratory analyses of process water and wastewater for preventative foresight, including chemical oxygen demand (COD), Fecal coliform and ammonia.
• Responsible for data entry and QA/QC.
• Prepares Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs) prior to review and submittal by the facility’s Environmental Specialist.
• Performs routine assessments, monitoring, and basic maintenance of the facility’s ultraviolet (UV) disinfection system, including but not limited to:
o bypass needs and diversion;
o algae buildup and removal;
o bulb intensity and replacement;
o flood conditions and aversion;
o flow meter recordings and meter calibrations;
o sludge buildup and removal;
o composite sampler condition and part replacement; and
o tank condition and clean out.
• Responsible for identifying and coordinating third-party repairs or non-routine maintenance of the UV disinfection and odor treatment systems.
• Fully responsible for the management and application of any existing and/or new treatment technologies identified to promote healthy biological activity, prevent and mitigate potential odors, and prevent or suppress unwanted plant growth.
• On a regular basis, verifies that all required monitoring and record keeping related to core-responsibilities is being performed per site-specific policies and procedures.
• Operates and maintains the facilities “street sweeper” in accordance with site policy.
• Operates other equipment (i.e., fork lift), where capable.
• Performs other environmental duties as assigned.
• Performs all tasks in accordance with environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures, and is responsible for maintaining job-specific certifications and/or licenses as assigned.
Skill & Experience Requirements
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Wastewater Operator
• Nebraska Class II Operator Certification preferred
• Must be mechanically inclined; maintenance experience preferred
• Nebraska Pesticide Applicator License preferred
• Fork lift experience, preferred.
• Safety leader with exemplary behaviors and leadership
• Proficient in critical thinking and multi-tasking high priority projects
• Computer competent (Excel and Word)
• Friendly, results oriented, and collaborative
Travel Requirements: Less than 5%
Or send your resume in Word or PDF form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination. Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace.