- The Western Sugar Cooperative has a challenging opportunity for a Chief Chemist. The Chief Chemist is responsible for ensuring the accurate collection, analysis, recording and reporting of all relevant process data, including the interpretation and translation of that data into useful information. These responsibilities are intended to ensure all members of the management team receive reliable information to help make effective process decisions. The chief chemist shall be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and presenting process data to factory operations in order to aid and improve operations. In order to maximize the safety, quality, environmental conditions and efficiency of the operation, this position requires management skills to work effectively with all levels of the organization. Additionally, this position is expected to supervise and develop lab and quality personnel. This position involves responsibilities in the manufacturing plant as well as the supply chain operations–packaging, warehousing, and shipping.
- Live our Core Values of: Being a Safety Leader, Integrity, Openness & Trust, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Social Responsibility,
- Be a safety leader with solid safety behaviors, demonstrated leadership, and good manufacturing procedures
- Oversee the commitment to defined product quality, safety, and environmental standards.
- Serve as a technical resource for factory and warehouse operations.
- Provide daily extraction performance reports to operations
- Provide factory management a daily summary of factory performance based on lab analysis
- Lead and manage the factory Quality Management System (QMS)
- Ensure the accuracy, distribution, and availability of technical information to all company departments.
- Manage all Laboratory functions, including both equipment and personnel.
- Coordinate resources towards company goals and objectives of Safety, Quality, Business Ethics, and Costs.
- Ensure compliance with standardized laboratory methods, procedures, and equipment in accordance with company policies.
- Coordinate and execute training of factory employees in the areas of product quality, process chemistry, and environmental, sanitation, safety and food safety policies and procedures.
- Discuss plant evaluation with plant management; make appropriate recommendations and set timetable for improvement and corrections.
Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering preferred.
- 2 to 4 years’ experience in a lab environment. Sugar experience is preferred
- Effective verbal and written communication skills resulting in the development of reports, training and presentations
- Strong analytical chemistry and math aptitude, including statistical skills
- Full understanding of standard laboratory methods and testing practices
- Ability to multi-task effectively with the realization that versatility is required to focus on numerous tasks
- Strong mathematical, accounting, and computer aptitude (Excel, Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, LIMS/WIMS, SAP)
- Leadership, organizational, training, and presentation skills
- Experience in working with 3rdparty audit companies a plus
- Ability to be self-driven
- Friendly, results oriented, and collaborative
- Strong customer focus mind-set
- Self-starter and possesses the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Reports to theFactory Manager and the Director of Quality and Process
- Solid leadership and influencing skills
Travel Requirements, if any (please indicate percentage):
- Up to 5%
|Position Type: Full Time
|Benefits:||Medical, Vision, Dental, LTD, Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 401K with match opportunity and the Company also contributes an additional 6% discretionary amount into each employee’s 401(k) at the end of the calendar year. Vacation, Salaried Continuance Plan, Holidays, and Paid Sick Leave if required by applicable State Law.|
- Please apply by sending resume to email@example.com
It is the policy of The Western Sugar Cooperative not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, layoff and termination.
Western Sugar Cooperative is a Drug Free workplace.